Thursday, January 23, 2014

Super Swell Wednesday


We anticipated the thought of fifty foot sweels, but the sound of it at six a.m. Filled me with fear. My heart slowed in my insulated chest as I listened through held breaths.
Was the water moving towards the door?
Would the force of such swells sweep all trace of us away?

Day break and aside from the thunderous waves life seemed normal, though the birds fled. We had breakfast outdoors and watched in awe. Oops we forgot to cut the long awaited pineapple and papayas!
We settled at the TV and watched The Wrong Man with Henry Fonda, an equally tense reality. 
At noon we went to Foodland, I am naking chili and needed spices and veggies. More tension. 
Tight aisles, hungry shoppers, displays precariously close to toppling and an old Hawaiian custodian with a wet mop glaring at my dog as she seemed to appear at every turn.
Then home to cook it up for lunch. It was spicy and hit the spot! We went for a walk with our also restless dog. This was the turning point, away from the cliffs the threatening presence of a wild ocean abated. We smelled flowers and talked to neighbors and found ease.
Today would be my Mother's 90 th birthday. 



Which mskes it a Super Swell Day! I serve Dan and i salads of kilauea greens, chopped almonds and lilikoi cheve with a n asian dressing before to go to the St. Regis Hotel for a celebration dinner. How I Love my Mother! Today Shirley Temple was on TV, a sign ! And now fancy shmancy! She taught me to be Proud of who I Am, and we walked into the hotel with Pilgrim as if we 'owned the joint'.
Dan and I ordered the ahi sandwich and avocado sushi. Pilgrim behaved perfectly. We listened to Fly Ne To the Moon, another of Char's favorites! She was definitely enjoying her 'Swell Day' with us here in Paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment